Explore alpaca trekking
Alpaca trekking is a unique and enjoyable experience that allows you to explore the great outdoors while interacting with these fascinating creatures. In recent years, alpaca trekking has become increasingly popular due to the combination of stunning natural scenery and adorable fluffy animals. Alpacas are known for their friendly and curious nature. They are gentle, intelligent and very social creatures that thrive in the company of other alpacas, but they also enjoy interacting with humans.
- Choose the season: Alpaca trekking can be done all year round, but the best time to go depends on your preferences. Spring and summer are ideal if you prefer warmer weather, while fall and winter offer cooler temperatures and the chance to see the alpacas in their full winter coats.
- Check the weather: Weather conditions can greatly affect your alpaca trekking experience. Be sure to check the weather forecast before booking your tour and dress appropriately for the conditions. In general, it's a good idea to wear comfortable, waterproof clothing and sturdy shoes or boots.
- Book in advance: Alpaca trekking is becoming increasingly popular, so it's important to book your tour in advance to avoid disappointment. Check with local tour operators to see what dates and times are available and book your tour as early as possible.
- Bring a camera: Alpacas are adorable creatures, and you'll want to capture your experience on camera. Be sure to bring a camera or smartphone with you to take pictures and videos of the alpacas and the beautiful scenery.
- Be respectful of the alpacas: Alpacas are friendly and curious creatures, but it's important to be respectful of their space and not to disturb them. Follow the instructions of your tour guide and avoid touching or approaching the alpacas without permission.
You may need
- Plan for transportation: As alpaca farms are often located on the countryside, you may need to plan for transportation to and from the starting point. Consider renting a car or using public transportation depending on the location of your alpaca trekking adventure.
- Fluffy Coats: Alpacas are typically sheared once a year, usually in the spring or early summer. Shearing helps to keep the alpacas cool in warmer weather and also ensures that their fleece is of the highest quality. The timing of shearing can vary depending on the climate and region, but most farmers aim to shear their alpacas before the hot summer months, so if you want to see the alpacas in their fluffy coats it's best to book a trekking tour in winter.